The Helzberg Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program has selected 20 new entrepreneurs from the Kansas City area to take part in its 2016 program.
Inspired by Barnett Helzberg Jr.’s mentoring relationship with Kansas City business legend Ewing Kauffman, HEMP matches seasoned area entrepreneurs with promising mentees. The three-year mentoring program aims to offer its participants new opportunities, inspiration and success.
“The HEMP class of 2016 is comprised of some of Kansas City’s finest entrepreneurs,” Helzberg said in a release. “I feel very fortunate to have been mentored throughout the various phases of my business career, and HEMP is one way for many of us to give back to the entrepreneurial community.”
“It’s a great feeling, being recognized among so many great business leaders in Kansas City.” – Jeff Blackwood
Founded in 1995, HEMP has welcomed more than 300 entrepreneurs into its ranks to form a community that still engages with one another. Eligible entrepreneurs must have three to five years of business experience, at least five full-time employees, and an annual revenue of $1 to $100 million.
Jeff Blackwood, CEO of Pathfinder Health Innovations, said that he sought out mentorship with HEMP to learn from other experienced businesspeople.
“Barnett and his team have built an organization that truly strives for quality relationships that will only make the Kansas City business ecosystem grow stronger,” Blackwood said. “Joining HEMP will allow me to gain the insights of another business leader; one who has previously experienced issues and can hopefully help me avoid them, allowing me to make all new mistakes. … It’s a great feeling, being recognized among so many great business leaders in Kansas City.”
The 2016 mentees are:
- Jeremy Antes, Prism Real Estate
- Kyle Batts, Batts Communication Services, Inc.
- Jeff Blackwood, Pathfinder Health Innovations, Inc.
- Eric Burtin, Burtin & Associates, Inc.
- Andrew Cameron, Daylight Donuts of Kansas City
- Mike Denny, Artistic Concrete Surfaces, LLC
- Beverly Drew, Asset LifeCycle, LLC
- Scott Gann, Scott Gann Construction
- Terry Garberg, Bark to Basics
- Brandy McCombs, International Builders & Consultants, Inc.
- Andy O’Hanlon, Equip-Bid Auctions
- Jeff Ragsdale, The Wm. Ragsdale Co.
- Nathan Roberts, Avenue Link
- Lori Ross, Foster Adopt Connect
- Laura Schmidt, Notes to Self
- Ryan Sciara, Underdog Wine Co.
- Jim Sheridan, Sheridan’s Unforked
- Travis Siegfried, Certified Radon
- Ryan Wyse, Code Koalas
- Mike Zimmerman, The Insurance Partners