AltCap’s marquee GEWKC competition for emerging entrepreneurs is returning in November, but fans of the businesses can cast votes now to determine a $2,500 “fan favorite” winner at the coming pitch event.
Ten finalists for the AltCap Your Biz competition were announced this week. The live pitch day is set for Nov. 17 at iWerx Pavillion, the base camp location for Global Entrepreneurship Week Kansas City.
In its seventh year, the competition mobilizes the next generation of Kansas City entrepreneurs and social innovators and helps accelerate their growth. Participants pitch their best business ideas in hopes of winning the $25,000 first-place award.
Supporters of the finalists can vote for “fan favorite” by visiting AltCap’s Facebook page or by clicking the links below to watch each finalist’s pitch and liking the video posts of each preferred entrepreneur. Votes must be cast before Oct. 28.
The finalist with the most likes and shares will win the $2,500 Fan Favorite Award — to be announced live at the Nov. 17 event.
The 10 finalists for 2022 include:
- Devoured Pizza Pop-Up (Jhy Coulter) — Specializes in being a mobile pizza operation where every pizza is made fresh, on site, hand-tossed, with eclectic and fresh ingredients. Click here to check out more on Coulter’s journey from foodie magazine concept to pop-up pizzeria.
- Diversity Telehealth (Dr. Shelley Cooper) — Uses its core product, Come On Now, to connect patients to doctors in a safe and convenient way. This gives consumers access to the right information, resources and tools to help them make the best medical and financial decisions for themselves and their families in a simplified, seamless experience. (Click here to learn about Come On Now’s recent appearance on stage with LaunchKC’s Social Venture Studio.)
- Interplay (Jonaie Johnson) — Creates remote crating for dog parents with their product, the PlayTach. With the remote dog crate attachment, pet parents can interact and care for their dog from the click of a button via the Interplay app. One of Startland News’ Kansas City Startups to Watch in 2022, Interplay recently surpassed its crowdfunding goal, raising $11,047 in 35 days on Kickstarter. Click here to check out Interplay’s recent check success at the Hy-Vee OpportUNITY Inclusive Business Summit.
- Jlii (Ryan J. Lee) — Music production manufacturing company that specializes in making mobile studios; these are mobile rigs to house laptops, audio interfaces, and mini keyboards so producers and musicians can play what they normally produce in a bedroom live on stage.
- KC Black Owned (Chelsey M.) — Provides an online platform and marketing services to enhance the visibility of Black-owned businesses. Click here to read about KC Black Owned’s recent success with the Alchemy Sandbox program at The Porter House KC.
- Madison Stitch (John Pryor) — Fashion studio in downtown Kansas City that makes original handbags from leather and wood, taking farm-to-table approach to fashion.
- Streamlined Profit Academy (Isaac Lee Collins) — Business coaching company that specializes in helping entrepreneurs create a streamlined, profitable business, so they can live the life that they love.
- Sweet Peaches Cobblers (Denisha Jones) — Family-run maker of a delicate, homemade peach cobbler, apple cobbler, and peach cobbler cookies — available year-round. Click here to read about Sweet Peaches Cobblers’ recent grand prize win at the Hy-Vee OpportUNITY Inclusive Business Summit.
- Upside Bungee (Marina Sharkey, Rachel McMeachin) — West Bottoms-based fitness facility that specializes in playful yet empowering fitness experiences.
- Peace for Your Pieces (Patricia McCreary, Shereese Hameed-Muhammad) — Tailors wellness plans for individuals using traditional and alternative practices with a focus on the whole person, including mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health.
Click here to read about AltCap Your Biz’s 2021 grand prize winner: Jackie Nguyen, Cafe Cà Phê.
This story is possible thanks to support from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, a private, nonpartisan foundation that works together with communities in education and entrepreneurship to create uncommon solutions and empower people to shape their futures and be successful.