A new insurtech accelerator is ready to launch virtually, Brush Creek Partners announced this week, revealing the first cohort for bcp tech.
“Despite the challenges of COVID-19, bcp tech attracted an incredible group of applicants, all with unique broker-focused insurtech solutions,” said Travis Holt, CEO and co-founder of bcp tech and Brush Creek Partners, reflecting on the selection process that resulted in a seven-member inaugural cohort.
bcp tech is the technology risk management and cyber liability brand of Brush Creek partners.
Click here to read more about the goals of the insurance industry-focused bcp tech accelerator, which was first announced in December 2019.
Notably among the companies: Overland Park-based Risk Genius, a software startup that applies machine learning to insurance policies to help underwriters, brokers, and regulators complete risk analysis in one policy or across an entire portfolio.
Led by CEO Chris Cheatham, RiskGenius was named one of Startland News’ Kansas City Startups to Watch in 2019.
“We’re excited to have a thought leader like Chris Cheatham and RiskGenius in the mix,” said Holt. “They will add a ton of value to the cohort.”
The accelerator’s eight-week curriculum is expected to begin in August with companies setting out to turn their products into an investable business, according to bcp. Powered by TechAssure (an international consortium of insurance agents/brokers specializing in technology-related risks) and LaunchKC/Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City all programming is likely to be virtual because of ongoing COVID-19 precautions.
“We’re holding out hope for an in-person demo day, but think the chances of that are slim,” Holt added. “We have an incredible group of mentors, most of whom are from the KC area and will be able to show the entire cohort how Kansas City supports the insurtech community and why this is a great place to build an insurtech company.”
The 2020 bcp tech cohort includes:
- Trust Layer (San Francisco) — a collaborative risk management platform that helps reduce friction between businesses by automating the verification of insurance, licenses, and compliance documents.
- Relativity6 (Cambridge, Massachusetts) — a machine learning platform that enables enterprise companies to accurately predict behaviors.
- GloveBox (Denver) — a centralized mobile and web application allowing insurance policy holders to access their policy documents, pay a bill, initiate a claim and more.
- WeatherCheck (Louisville, Kentucky) — a Saas web application telling users potential and historical weather damage to property that results in valid or invalid property insurance claims.
- Protosure (New York City) — a cloud-based, programming-free platform to submit, underwrite, rate, quote, and issue policies.
- Wunderite (Boston) — shortens an agent’s sales cycle, automates internal processes, and delivers a delightful customer experience.
- RiskGenius (Overland Park) — an AI-driven, SaaS-based solution made specifically for the insurance industry that lets you rapidly understand terms of coverage across a body of policy documents.
Members of the cohort were selected by a panel of judges that included both insurtech investors and insurance brokerage experts.
Financial incentives related to the cohort members were not immediately disclosed.
What is Brush Creek Partners?
Brush Creek Partners is a full-service technology-focused insurance agency based in the crossroads of Kansas City. Brush Creek specializes in helping growth-stage technology companies manage risk while providing additional value-add services, customer and investor introductions, and truly act as a partner to our clients.