A 10th cohort for ScaleUP! Kansas City continues the program’s five-year legacy of helping entrepreneurs scale a diverse array of companies, the effort’s new leader said.
“This program demonstrates over and over that you can not only start a business in Kansas City, but also that you can get all the tools, coaching, perspective and inspiration you need to scale it here,” said Jill Hathaway, program director of ScaleUP! KC.
160 Kansas City business owners — from industries like software, health, transportation, design, tech, food, and sales — have participated in the 16-week program at no cost to founders, thanks to support from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and the City of Kansas City, Missouri.
“Companies we’ve worked with in the past make headlines, create jobs and are key parts of the engine that drives the economy in the Kansas City region,” said Hathaway, who took over ScaleUP! KC after its leader Jill Meyer was promoted to serve as UMKC Innovation Center’s new senior director of technology ventures. “It’s an honor to guide them on their journey and to give this newest select group of elite business leaders what they need to take their operations to new heights.”
A Feb. 20 community celebration is planned for the 17-member cohort, which includes the following entrepreneurs and companies:
- Edna Adelusola, SERVPRO of Platte County, Riverside, Missouri — SERVPRO of Platte County serves residential and commercial customers. It specializes in fire, smoke and soot cleanup; water damage; mold; carpet and upholstery cleaning; and more.
- Ifrah Ali, Prime Transportation LLC, Kansas City, Missouri — Prime Transportation LLC is a logistics and transportation company. Founded in 2014, the company operates in 28 states and focuses on the Kansas City region and the Midwest.
- Sarah Beshears, Common Design, Kansas City, Missouri — Common Design is a design and marketing firm. Founded in 2009, the company builds and extends brand systems and experiences that encourage connection.
- Chris Dennis, GivePet, Overland Park — GivePet is a premium dog-treat company. Founded in 2016, the company also provides enough treats for at least 10 shelter dogs with every bag of GivePet treats purchased.
- Meghan Dudek, Benson Method, Overland Park — Benson Method is a principle-led project management and commercial interior design firm that develops customized solutions to implement each client’s vision.
- Mike Foster, Lazser Down, Raytown — Lazser Down is a football down-marker system that displays real-time down and distance measurements.
- Angie Gaebler, STRATA Architecture Inc., Kansas City, Missouri — STRATA Architecture Inc. is a full-service, woman-owned architecture firm. The company is regionally recognized for historic preservation and offers a range of consulting services.
- David Lindell, SETWorks, North Kansas City — SETWorks electronically manages every aspect from referral to billing for agencies that serve people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Toyia Mays, The Laya Center, Kansas City, Missouri — The Laya Center is a holistic wellness hub that offers a natural alternative to chronic illness and pain management with a spa environment.
- Patrick Montgomery, KC Cattle Co., Weston — KC Cattle Co. is a 100% veteran-owned and veteran-operated business that sells high-quality Wagyu beef to all 50 states.
- Rani Navarro-Force, The Marie Antoinette Gluten Free Baking Co., Wathena — The Marie Antoinette Gluten Free Baking Co. is an artisan gluten-free food manufacturing company that wholesales to over 200 retail stores in eight states.
- Anthony Olson, Neighborhood Cafe, Lee’s Summit — Neighborhood Cafe is a family-owned homestyle restaurant concept in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, and the Waldo neighborhood in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Mindy Rocha, CJ Industries LLC, Kansas City, Kansas — CJ Industries LLC is a general, mechanical, millwright and plumbing construction firm. Founded in 2013, the company is a union contractor that is a signatory to thousands of locals.
- Steve Rodriguez, Bulldog Professional Inspection Services, Raymore — Bulldog Professional Inspection Services is a leading Kansas City home-inspection firm. Founded in 2010, the company has performed over 10,000 home inspections.
- Matt Sellers, Rack Performance, Overland Park — Rack Performance is an easy-to-use software platform that lets coaches optimize their performance-training programs.
- Aaron Thomas, GearBrokers, Kansas City, Missouri — GearBrokers is a reverse logistics asset recovery company that deals and brokers an array of electronic hardware from popular brands.
- AnnMarie Willis, Leverage Lab, Kansas City, Missouri — Leverage Lab is a first-party data-centric marketing agency. Founded in 2017, the company helps clients leverage data to create more personalized experiences.
Click here to learn more about ScaleUP! KC.