Shoppers are buying, spurring retail growth in Kansas City, according to details gleaned from the 2018 Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies list.
Released Wednesday morning, the report showed a slight dip in performance for Kansas City overall compared to 2017. Three dozen Kansas City-area firms landed on the 2018 Inc. 5000 list, a drop from the 40 companies that earned spots in 2017’s ranking.
Also down is the number of area firms that landed in the top-500 fastest growing firms — from four in 2017 to two in 2018.
Those two firms — Nickel & Suede (No. 127) and Mer-Sea & Co. (No. 279) — are both in retail. Nickel & Suede, a Liberty-based company that creates handmade leather goods, experienced a 3,101 percent growth with $4.1 million in revenue. Mer-Sea & Co., a Lenexa-based provider of clothing and fashion accessories, reported 1,750 percent growth with $6.6 million in revenue.
Homegrown T-shirt powerhouse Charlie Hustle also made the list at No. 988, reporting 497 percent growth with $4.5 million in revenue.
Six fast-growing tech firms also landed in the Inc. 5000, including Procure IT Network, DataLocker, Rx Savings Solutions and others.
The fastest-growing Kansas City-area company in 2017 — Lever1, which earned the No. 44 spot overall — remained on the Inc. 5000 list but dropped to No. 1907.
Here are the top-10 fastest growing companies in the Kansas City area, according to the Inc. 5000 list.
Overland Park companies fared well in the report, boasting more than a dozen entries across industries. They included:
- Tickets for Less (No. 1122, 439 percent growth);
- Prism Real Estate Services (No. 1451, 322 percent growth);
- DataLocker (No. 1564, 299 percent growth);
- Rx Savings Solutions (No. 1630, 284 percent growth);
- United States Appraisals (No. 2542, 168 percent growth);
- DEG (No. 3051, 132 percent growth);
- D&L Transport (No. 3133, 126 percent growth);
- Avenue Link (No. 3226, 122 percent growth);
- Go Local Interactive (No. 3365, 115 percent growth);
- Platinum Realty (No. 3419, 112 percent growth);
- Dimensional Innovations (No. 3516, 107 percent growth);
- ProPharma Group (No. 3733, 98 percent growth); and
- Titan Protection and Consulting (No. 4020, 88 percent growth).
Alight Analytics, a marketing analytics technology firm in Kansas City, Missouri, was among those appearing on the list for a third consecutive year, the company said, placing at No. 4,241.
“We’re not standing still — we’re hitting the accelerator,” said Michelle Jacobs, Alight’s president and co-founder.