On Thursday, Digital Sandbox KC announced its newest cohort of six area startups.
Led by entrepreneur Jeff Shackelford, the Kansas City-based incubator welcomed 17° 73° Innovation Co, Anticipate Ventures, FEWDM, Homegrown & Happy, Live-K and TicketRx to the program.
“The continued support through partnerships, like Independence, Olathe and Great Plains Energy for the Energy Sandbox, give us the opportunity to increase the quantity and quality of early-stage entrepreneurs across the entire metro area,” said Shackelford in a release. “It’s vital that we continue to drive a high-volume of early-stage companies who have rapid growth potential.”
Digital Sandbox invests up to $25,000 in area businesses for specific projects that help the firms secure additional funding. The organization has now supported a total of 85 proof-of-concept projects which have gone on to raise almost $30 million in follow-on investment capital.
Here’s more about the companies:
- 17° 73° Innovation Co. — a firm focused on finding solar solutions. It’s first product, the Sunshine Box, is a device designed to narrow the gap for mobile-first technology users and allow them to access reliable and safe electricity.
- Anticipate Ventures — a health and ag tech company who created a product using UV light to reduce bacteria and viruses and their associated diseases in medical, food, hygiene.
- FEWDM — a fitness tech company with products Rock360 and Omniball, that employ a ball-bearing system that allows it to roll in any direction with limited friction. Both could be used in place of a dumbbell or medicine ball and facilitate core exercises with an app.
- Homegrown & Happy — an online marketplace for sharing recipes and buying personalized foods.
- Live-K — a mobile app that uses GPS technology to reward recreational runners for their participation.
- TicketRX — a digital platform that instantly connects drivers in need with an a licensed attorney.