Kansas City’s popular grant competition, LaunchKC, will be doling out another $500,000 in 2016 to startups around the world.
LaunchKC in April will open the application period for its international competition, which will issue ten $50,000 grants to winners during the second-annual Techweek Kansas City conference. Drew Solomon, vice president of business and job development at the Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, is looking forward to another competition thrusting the area into the spotlight.
“We are looking for the best and brightest to compete in the LaunchKC grants competition,” Solomon said in a release. “The purpose of this grant program is to provide a competition where Kansas City will be recognized as a viable player in the startup ecosystem. We want to make sure there are ongoing opportunities in our city, and that our community is willing to invest in our entrepreneurs.”
Here are some key dates and links for the competition:
- April 1: Applications open and will be accessible through LaunchKC.org. There will be specific instructions on how to register and apply.
- July 6: Application period closes at midnight.
- July 10 – Aug. 19: A team of judges — comprised of local business and civic leaders, venture capitalists and tech experts — will evaluate applicants. The 2015 competition drew more than 500 applicants, according to organizers.
- Aug. 22: LaunchKC will announce 20 startup finalists.
- Sept. 16: The 20 finalists will compete in a pitch competition at Union Station during the second-annual Techweek Kansas City conference. 10 winners of the $50,000 grants will be announced after the pitch contest.
The LaunchKC grants program is operated by the Downtown Council of Kansas City, Missouri in collaboration with the EDC. Learn more about the 10 firms that won the 2015 competition here.